Advertisement

Space heater blamed for Tuesday house fire that kills dog, cat in Topeka’s Oakland neighborhood

Blaze reported around 4:20 a.m. Tuesday in 400 block of N.E. Emmett
Published: Jan. 26, 2021 at 5:31 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - A space heater was being blamed for a Tuesday morning fire that killed a dog and cat and destroyed a home in the city’s Oakland neighborhood.

The blaze was reported at 4:21 a.m. at a two-story residence at 427 N.E. Emmett.

Fire crews reported heavy flames and smoke coming from the residence upon their arrival.

Firefighters were able to knock down the blaze quickly and keep it from spreading to nearby homes, in addition to a travel trailer parked in a driveway just south of the residence.

A search revealed no one was inside at the time of the blaze.

However, fire crews did report that a dog and a cat died in the fire.

A woman who said she lived at the residence told 13 NEWS that she wasn’t home at the time of the fire. She said she left a space heater turned on inside the front room of the home.

The woman also said she had just finished remodeling the house.

Fire officials said the cause of the fire was accidental in nature and was associated with a space heater.

The estimated loss was $25,000, $20,000 of which was to the structure and $5,000 of which was to its contents.

Fire officials said the home was a total loss.

Fire officials added that the woman declined assistance from the American Red Cross as she had family to assist her in Topeka.

According to the Shawnee County Appraiser’s website, the house is owned by Joyce A. Elliott. Its 2020 appraised value was $44,190.

Copyright 2021 WIBW. All rights reserved.